KBH has a strong dispute resolution offering and has been nominated repeatedly by international legal directories as a leading law firm in the region. Our lawyers are highly experienced and globally ranked barristers, solicitors and arbitrators.
KBH is noted for having played a key role in the development of the DIFC as a favourable jurisdiction for international commercial dispute resolution. In particular, through its advocacy and expertise it has helped to develop the law and to set important precedents that have captured the attention of commercial practitioners in the GCC and further afield.
For example KBH was the first firm to:
- Fund a case in the DIFC Courts entirely by third party litigation funding, in order to successfully bring a financial mis-selling case.
- Bring a claim against a bank incorporated outside of the jurisdiction thereby setting a precedent and establishing the legal test for widening jurisdiction of the DIFC Courts.
- Set a precedent as to what amounts to “possession and occupation” in the real estate industry.
- Conduct proceedings in the High Courts of England and Wales entirely from the DIFC.
- Act for a liquidator in the first ever claim of Unfair Prejudice in the DIFC Courts.
- Argue before the DIFC Courts on the rights provided for under a Power of Attorney, where individual practitioners do not have rights of audience before the Courts.
KBH has an established reputation of excellence for dispute resolution in international commercial litigation and arbitration in the UAE and the wider GCC region. Our track record of success in this field is unrivalled, and is based upon our disputes team’s combined expertise and its dedication, in accordance with our ethos, to at all times rigorously defending and advancing our client’s cases whilst creating opportunities and exploring solutions for settlement on optimum commercial terms.
The firm has developed an integrated and complete “360” service for contentious representation and related advisory work before the DIFC Courts and before international arbitral tribunals. In addition, our track record, experience and judgment enables us to offer and agree innovative risk-sharing fee arrangements and costs structures with clients in appropriate cases.
KBH’s dispute resolution team is led by Bushra Ahmed, who is a senior barrister and often lead counsel, includes a team of barristers and specialist dispute resolution practitioners with extensive combined expertise and experience in managing commercial disputes and in appearing as advocates before courts and tribunals across the region and in Europe and further afield.